This article is a guest posted by Rhea of PLRrewriting.com.
What does ‘PLR’ mean anyway?
PLR stands for Private Label Rights and any content labeled as such means that you have the right to use that content as your own even if it was written by somebody else.
In the past few years, a lot of PLR membership sites have sprung up all over the internet. And for a monthly subscription rate, you get access to *new* content they release to subscribers each month. Membership rates vary greatly (you can join some sites for as low as $25 monthly) as so do the PLR topics you get (anything from how to make money online articles to how to improve your golf swing can be downloaded).
Some PLR membership sites though are quite niche specific and so will only provide content for a specific topic (e.g., health).
Why PLR Articles Can Be GOOD for You
- PLR content saves you time. Instead of thinking of topics to write about for your niche, presto! you can literally have 100s of *new* articles at your fingertips if you’re a member of a PLR site.
- PLR content saves you money. You can have numerous articles for your niche for literally at a cost of just pennies each!
- PLR content enables you to scale your business… FAST. This is perhaps the BIGGEST advantage of using PLR articles. You see, in internet marketing, there are 101 ways to drive traffic to your site: blog posts, SEO articles, reports, ebooks, whitepapers, press releases… and they all need content!
However, if you have access to say, 100 articles now, then you can attack all these traffic channels all at the same time (with some tweaking of the content of course).
- You DON’T need to be a ‘guru’ in your niche to establish your site and earn money. Ah, here’s a controversial reason. Don’t we all always hear that our business should be something we’re passionate about? And in almost all cases, this means being involved in something that we’re an ‘authority’ in? This is NOT always the true.
Case in point… I know a lot of people who have money-making poker sites and yet have never played poker themselves! Many still release eBooks on various topics they personally do not like or know nothing about. I know someone who promotes tattoos but personally, she hates them! LOL. I can go on and on this one.
This is not to say that I encourage you to dabble into something you know nothing about. However, in internet marketing, if you know the process to apply for success, engaging in ANY topic CAN be done.
Ok, Why PLR Articles Can Be BAD for You
The most obvious disadvantage to using PLR articles is that they are NOT unique. It may be *new* in the sense that the PLR membership site just released it but since you’re not the only member of that site… all of you get it! Some sites may restrict the number of times they let a particular PLR article be downloaded but that will still be a substantial number (say, ‘only 250’ of you have it).
If the content you’re using is not unique, you’re opening your site to duplicate content penalties by search engines. Many experts argue that this is a long shot but (1) who wants to annoy the Big G, right? and (2) you lose the edge of being the only one who can provide the right solution to people looking for information on the web.
Think about it. If you can get the EXACT same info from site A, B and C, that really doesn’t inspire you to be loyal to any of those sites, right?
The Best Way to Use PLR Content
The best way to use PLR content is to TWEAK it so that it really becomes unique for your purposes. Here’s how…
- Chop up your PLR content. Who’s to say you should use PLR content exactly as is. For example, you can chop up a long PLR article and convert it into several blog posts.
- Rewrite PLR articles. What’s the point? Your article will be unique WITHOUT losing its authoritative tone. It’s the same good, solid information… said in a different way. You can also have your PLR articles rewritten so that it’s usable for a different purpose. For instance, group specific articles together and have them rewritten so that together they form an ebook, report or whitepaper you can give away. (Great for list building!)
- Use them as inspiration. I know someone who has a PC-related site that’s quite niche-y and he wanted more content. However, he didn’t have the time to conduct the necessary research and he didn’t want to use duplicate content either. As such, he signed up for a membership site, downloaded all 575 computer-related articles and bingo! a new line-up of PC article topics was born.
Content is an integral part of anyone’s online success and it IS possible to benefit greatly from the use of PLR articles… if you know how!
Rhea leads a team of professional, SEO-skilled rewriters at PLRrewriting.com. Ah yes… they rewrite MANUALLY over there ;)