On the first months of my internet venture, I’ve heard tons of ways to make money online. For a start, you have those “Get paid to” sites. Pretty tempting for a 13-year old back then, but I never tried one. You have eBay and a whole lotta other ways. But what have most intrigued me is this – bum marketing.
For the next months, I will be doing a live experiment, testing if bum marketing still works.
What is bum marketing?
Easy as pie. You write an article related to the product that you will be promoting as an affiliate then submit it to Ezinearticles.com. Do the process hundred times. Wait for the search engines to rank you article.
Higher rankings = more traffic to your article = more clicks to your affiliate link = more affiliate sales.
Listen. Here’s the secret to bum marketing success… domination. Dominate every search term for the product.
Let’ say you will be promoting a fishing tip product. To dominate the niche of your product, try hitting long tail keywords e.g. trout fishing, Alaska salmon fishing, Florida fishing, etc. and write one article for every keyphrase.
Why bum marketing?
I’ll skip the long paragraphs and bull point it out ;-)
- No computer skills required
- You can start with a low budget
- You can start right now
- Money on snowball effect
Why not bum marketing?
- Too many articles to write
- You depend too much for search engine traffic
- Too many articles to write – If you don’t have the money, you’ll have to pay time to get money. If you don’t have the time, you’ll have to pay money to get time. Now I have the money, I don’t have to write the articles – I ordered my first batch of 15 articles from one of my writers.
- You depend too much for search engine traffic – Then why not add a dash of web 2.0? For this case study, I will be using Social Poster to bookmark the articles I’ve submitted to Ezinearticles.com. I will also make a couple of Squidoo.com and Hubpages.com pages.
What I’ve done as of now
If you want to do the same and test it for yourself – or do it for the profits, here are the things that I have done at the moment.
- Looked for a product to promote over at PayDotCom (Clickbank alternative) with a good conversion rate and a reasonable price
- Bought a domain name because Ezinearticles.com don’t allow direct affiliate links – $7.15 (with coupon price from godaddy)
- Bought 15 articles related to the product I will be promoting – $45
- Set upped a campaign on my autoresponder (I am currently with GetResponse) to capture leads for long term traffic – $17.95
- Bought a private label product to give people an initiative to sign up to my list – $3
- Hosted (I recommend Media Temple) my squeeze page where I will drive my traffic to – $20
- Did a keyword research via Aaron Wall’s keyword suggestion tool and targeted the keyphrases with around 100-300 overall daily search to compete with less competition
- Submitted an article to Ezinearticles.com
- Bookmarked my article using Social Poster
- Made a Squidoo.com and Hubpages.com page for my article
With that kind of set up, it would cost you less than a hundred dollars to start.
I did my best to cut the cost here for everyone to take play. You can eliminate some expenses like the buying of articles by writing ones on your own and probably the hosting if you’ve got your own host.
By the way, if you’re wondering what my squeeze page looks like, you can download a copy of it via this link.
What do YOU think?
Now, now, I’m not a bum marketer on any perspective. I just read a couple of guides here and there for this case study, added some of my ideas and a dash of today’s new traffic tactics.
I’m expecting a positive result from this experiment as the principles are quite promising.
How about you? What do you think of the experiment? Will I earn my money back? Is there anything you would like to add?